President Lyndon B. Johnson declared the first American Heart Month in 1964 to raise awareness for heart disease in the United States. Here are some healthy heart tips, according to the Million Hearts campaign from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
• Exercise to get your heart rate up.
• Eat more fruits and vegetables.
• Make time for breakfast.
• Take the stairs.
• Don’t sit for too long – stretch your legs.
• Practice good dental hygiene, especially flossing.
• Get enough sleep.
• Reduce your sodium intake.
• Slow down and stress less.
• Avoid smoking.
Stay healthy, and use #AmericanHeartMonth for social media.
– Laura Rambo, On 3 Public Relations